21 Inspirational Body Image Quotes To Help You Love Your Body More
Some days, inspirational body image quotes may help you love your body more. Other days, body image quotes may seem feeble.
Regardless, every single person deserves to feel at least neutral and safe in their body. That’s your birthright.
Before you read inspirational body image quotes, nonjudgmentally notice how you feel. Especially about and in your body. And then check back in with yourself after reading them.
Be curious about any differences in how you feel before and after reading inspirational body image quotes.
If you feel even a smidge better –or less bad — after reading them, it’s a win.
Body image is important for lots of reasons. It’s linked with self-esteem and health.
It does not have to be this way – normative discontent is more than sad; it is bulls*it.
An alternative that’s within reach for everybody is called body neutrality.
It’s the concept that you can simply exist, worthy of respect, without thinking about your body. Or, maybe you feel good about your body one day and not so great about it the next.
Body neutrality is a bridge between body loathing and body positivity. And a worthy pursuit in its own right.
Consider these inspirational body image quotes. They may help move you toward body neutrality…. or beyond.
2. “Your body hears everything your mind says.”
3. “We cannot heal our own body image by judging, shaming, objectifying or pedestaling other bodies”
5. “You can’t hate your body into a version you will love.”
6. “Apologize to your body. Maybe that’s where the healing begins.”
— Nayyirah Waheed
7. Losing weight does not cure negative body image.
8. “Of course you look different. You aren’t made with a cookie cutter.”
9. Love your body back.
10. Girls don’t just decide to hate their bodies. Culture teaches them to.
11. My ideal weight is my weight holding 5 puppies.
12. You have to stand up and say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with me or my shape or who I am; you’re the one with the problem!’
13. Life is so much more beautiful and complex than a number on the scale.
14. Your body provides pleasure. Access it!
15. “Mother Teresa did not walk around complaining about her thighs.
She had shit to do!”Sarah Silverman
Where thoughts go, energy flows. Notice your thoughts. Ask yourself if you would speak to a friend in the same way.
More often than not, you may automatically think about your body harshly. As in using words you’d never ever say to a friend about her body. And, if you heard her use the same harsh language about her body, you’d probably correct her right away. And be sad that she is being such a bully toward her body.
Speak to yourself as you would a friend.
Back to inspirational body image quotes:
16. Who cares if there are lumps on my thighs? I’m guilty of having human legs made up of fat, muscle, and skin, and sometimes when you sit, they get bumpy.Kristen Bell
(Ever hear a toddler complain about her thighs?)
17. “I don’t look in the mirror and go, ‘Oh, I look fantastic!’ Of course, I don’t. Nobody is perfect. I just don’t believe in perfection. But I do believe in saying, ‘This is who I am and look at me not being perfect!’ I’m proud of that.”
19. “Don’t waste so much time thinking about how much you weigh. There is no more mind-numbing, boring, idiotic, self-destructive diversion from the fun of living.”
21. “People often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder.” -Selma Halyek
You, yes you, are the Beholder.
Who defines you? YOU define you.
Sociocultural norms for beauty ideals are constructed.
What is constructed can be deconstructed.
P.S. Check back in with yourself: Is your relationship with your body any different after than before you read the post? Remember, a smidge counts!
I am a non-diet, Certified Intuitive Eating specialist and clinical psychologist in MA. If you’re struggling with your body image and/or eating disorder, please contact me here.